Thursday, May 13, 2010

Are You Ready For This?

Dear Family,
Ok, so Dad assured me that he will be able to get skype going. Since no one had any objections up to now, I believe the call will move forward as planned at 8:00 Cape Verde time, 4:00 Missouri time, 3:00 Utah time, 2:00 California time, and, according to Grant, 1:00 Alaska time. Dad will be calling me and setting up Conference call with all of yous. So be Prepaaaaaared!
Also, although today is my P-day, due to the nature of my special assignment as Financial Secretary I still have work to do. Dang. I very much dislike having to do work on my P-day. But I guess if it´s necessary, it has to be done. Man, I really wanted to chill, go to Plateau and browse the Chinese shops, write letters, draw on envelopes, color, fun stuff like that. Now that I think about it a coloring book would be really cool. Hmm...
Mom, thanks for the package. In the next one, could you see about sending some Rootbeer? they don´t have that here. It´s sad. If not, that´s cool, it´ll just be the first thing I´ll be looking for next time I step on American soil. Also, I´m looking for some simple (like suuuper simple, suuuuper fast) ways to prepare vegetables as little snacklet things? Because I want to eat healthy, but I don´t want to spend my whole lunch time cooking. Because of our modified schedule, we have 2 hours for lunch and don´t take a dinner. So most missionaries will eat something fast and simple in 15 or 20 minutes and take a nap for the rest of the time. I will do that sometimes, although in reality most of the time I will end up drawing during my lunch period. And vegetables are pretty cheap here. Every time we have a snack at Zone Conference or something that Sister Palmer, our mission nurse, fixes up it´s some vegetables and stuff which is always really good. It´s strange, but sweets are only desirable in small quantities. It just doesn´t appeal to me much. Now that doesn´t mean not to send them in packages. On the contrary, evey lb that is junk food is good.
So in my work I will sometimes go to different companies to pay bills, to get bills, and other such things. I have noticed that every company here has tons of shelves of paperwork. I guess they haven´t converted to electronic filing yet. In fact, TACV, the airplane company, sent us a fax with a bunch of tickets that we supposedly haven´t paid, so we have to go through all of our records to prove that we paid them. Things like this usually happen because of their weak filing. Man, they have computers, they just don´t use them much.
Also, we were getting eggs today while shopping, and I just thought about telling you about how they give you eggs. They take however many eggs you want and just put them in a plastic bag and give it to you. No carton or protective packaging at all. Elder Shelhamer got a bunch of eggs and when we got home, several were busted.
Heh, and often we´ll see a guy in a uniform in front of stores and banks and stuff. Private security here is pretty common, but it would be the most boring job ever. These guys literally just sit there all day. Nothing ever happens. And if something ever did happen, I don´t know what these guys would do. Oh well, at least it´s a job.
And sometimes working in the office feels like a job. Only you don´t get paid days off. But I trust that the Lord will bless me for my service here. That is worth more than any earthly pay.
Anyways, time´s up. Write me please! Tell my friends to write.
~Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment