Saturday, July 30, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust



Dear Family,

Last week we had transfers. I said farewell to Elder Moreira (he´s going to train in Fogo) and hello to Elder Josephson and Elder Fonseca. I´m going to miss Elder Moreira. He was a really fun companion. It´s a shame that we only had one transfer together. But yea, right now I´m in a trio. I wasn´t sure how well it would work but so far we´re doing fine. It helps that both Elder Josephson and Elder Fonseca are clean. It´s a lot easier when everyone cleans up after themselves and not just one person for everyone. Elder Josephson is from Lehi, Utah and Elder Fonseca is from here on the island of Mindelo. They are both way cool, ready to learn and to do the work that we are here to do. This first week has been pretty crazy simply due to the fact that I haven´t had time to teach them everything and there´s been so much to do. So here´s the weekly breakdown:

Monday-Transfer Day. I started by moving the secretaries out of our house. Last transfer we shared a house with the secretaries. That changed this transfer. I moved them out and I picked up Elder Josephson to ride around with me as I did all the other changes. This was basically AP Taxi day. And since I was the designated driver I got to do all the movement. Not that I don´t enjoy driving, but there is a point when you don´t want to drive back and forth through the city. We ran around until 12 when we stopped by the mission home because President Oliveira had invited us to lunch. That was a tender mercy of the Lord. We showed up, ate a little, talked for a few minutes, then rushed out the door to do more changes. If we hadn´t had that lunch I don´t know if we´d have found time to eat. We kind of pushed our schedule tight by stopping by as it was, with a pre-ready meal. As soon as all the movements were done (around 5-ish) We got ourselves ready to go teach. I went with Elder Ryan (who was a secretary last transfer but got transfered to Mindelo to train) so he could show me all the investigators that we would acquire since the secretaries moved areas. My new companions went with Elder Moreira so he could show them the investigators that I already knew. Good stuff.

Tuesday was a little more calm. We had a lot of office stuff in the morning, but we just taught in the afternoon. Wednesday was the same.

Thursday we had a Trainers´ Training. The Church is starting a new 12 week training program to help integrate new missionaries into the field better. The hope is that after the first 2 transfers (12 weeks) these new missionaries will be ready to train others, or in essence be leaders. That´s definately something this mission needs. I´m training 2 APs not greenies but the training was still helpful. And who knows, maybe I´ll train sometime in the future. The new Elders got in Thursday night.

Friday morning we did the new missionary orientation. Then taught. Saturday we had some baptism interviews, watched a baptism, then went out with the Branch to clean out the membership records, ie find out if people still live in the branch boundaries any more, because there are a ton of members in the branch´s records that aren´t active.

Sunday was a good normal day. Except that our gas for our stove ran out in the middle of lunch. It´s hard to cook without a stove. But I was finally able to catch up in my journal.

Anyways, thanks for your love and support!

Elder Canute

p.s. the picture is of the office staff last transfer. From left to right: Me, Elder Burnett (financial secretary), Elder Moreira (my companion), Elder Ryan (financial secretary), Sister Brooks, and Sister Laimana (general secretaries).

No comments:

Post a Comment