Monday, August 23, 2010

Long Walks on the Beach




Dear Family,
I really like Fogo. It's chill here. Being a Zone Leader isn't that bad and I really like my companion, Elder Tom. Picture attached. I also attached some pictures of my new apartment. Here in the next few weeks I'll get some shots of my area and stuff.
Basically the subject of the email references the fact that we run along the beach 3 times a week for our morning exercises. Running on sand is hard, but it's good exercise. And I'm going to want to be in good shape for when we go to the volcano because I hear that it's a tough and tiring climb. I've gotten to the point where my thighs are no longer burning all day, but I still am out of shape and breathe like an 80 year old smoker. But our area is literally all hill. You are either going up or down, there is no flat here. Which is a lot different from my last area which was all flat. Oh, and I worked in the office in the mornings. But the work here is going well.
Also, I got here at a pretty good time, the rainy season has started. The thing with the rain is that it is cool in the rain during the rain, but if you are under a roof when it's raining, it's really hot and muggy. And after the rain has stopped, it gets really hot and muggy. It feels like I'm being steamed like a vegetable. Speaking of which, it's a lot more difficult here to get a hold of fruits and vegetables. We've been trying to get a member to buy some for us because people would charge us more, but so far no dice. I'm trying to eat fruit flavored yogurt, but I don't know if that counts. At least I have my multi-vitamin pill to help me stay regularized. But without fruits and veggies and some kind of fiber boosted cereal (cereal is super expensive here) my bowel movements have become irregular. But I'm still ok.
I really like my new companion, Elder Tom. He's only got this transfer and one more after this so I will probably be his last companion. As they say in the mission I will ''kill'' him. Kind of morbid, but if you look at a mission as an allegory of life or something like that it makes sense. If you don't get it, ask someone who's served a mission. But we talk a lot and we get along really well. He's got a brother just younger than him so for the time being we kind fit each others 'brother' roles. Which is cool. He's the kind of Elder that I definately want to look up and chill with after the mission. I've also got high hopes and expectations for our proselyting and stuff too.
Fogo is cool. And by cool I mean hot.
Oh and Mom, I am still sending letters but I don't know how long it will take to get there from Fogo. So just let me know when you get my letters.
But thanks for all of the updates from you people!
Loves,
~Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment