Friday, September 24, 2010

Dear Middle Earth
















































Dear Inhabitants of the Shire,

You may commence the celebrations, for the Ring of Power has been destroyed. Pictures attached.

So yesterday we climbed the volcano. It was epic. However it took all of P-day which did not allow for a usage of email the other day. So that is why I am writing today.

Climbing the volcano was awesome. When we got there it was blue skies and puffy clouds. So obviously we all lathered up with sunscreen. As we climbed, it could misty and cloudy and rained lightly on and off. We also had a heavier sister with us and she required a lot of rest stops and a pep talk every stop to keep her going. So the climb ended up not being physically tiring for me and Elder Tom, but emotionally draining. She was having troubles even in the beginning and we asked if she wanted to stay with the hiace with some other missionaries that were staying down there and she wanted to climb. But she stopped so often and she walked so slow. So many times she just stopped and said she couldn´t do it and wouldn´t go on. But we couldn´t just leave her, so Elder Tom and I walked with up step by step by step the whole way. A climb that should have taken 1 to 2 hours to 4 or 5. Ugh.

Also, the rain and mist washed off my sunscreen a little so I have random, blotchy, and incredibly irritating sunburns. Pictures attached. That was an interesting and very unexpected burn because it was very cold as we climbed. We didn´t have direct sunlight ever, it was misty and windy most of the time, and there was quite a bit of rain in there as well. So I was actually the coldest I have yet been in Cape Verde. It was a nice change of pace from the hot hot hot of CV. But I was glad when I got home to clean up and get into dry clothes again. Unfortunately I wasn´t able to take a hot shower, but merely a lukewarm shower. That is about as unfullfilling after a long, wet, cold excursion as an interrupted yawn.

The best part of the trip was the descent. We climbed up a rocky part going up because it was secure and solid. We went down on the softer rocklets. It was like sand, but not as fine. Like sand but with pebbles a little smaller than marbles. And by pebbles I mean volcanic rock. We literally ran down the volcano. It was awesome. Because it was volcanic rock pebble sand, falling down wasn´t good, but I only fell down once or twice. But going down almost felt like running on the moon or something. As you ran, you´d sink into the rocks a little, but because of the downhill slope, that didn´t slow you down. You had to run leaning back or you would go faster than you could put your legs in front of you and tumble. I got some video of a few other elders running, but I didn´t attach it. But it was awesome. The hiace ride home we were all dirty, wet, and cold. But I wouldn´t mind doing it again even as soon as next week. In all likelihood we won´t go again for another 2 transfers, so I may not even still be here. We´ll see.

One fun thing one of the other elders and I did, was assign members of the Fellowship of the Ring to those of us climbing. We had a senior missionary who was Gandalf, I was Legolas, and Elder Tom was Gimli. I would list all the others, but you don´t know who any of the other missionaries are so it wouldn´t be as fun. Although I will say that we didn´t have a Boromir because Elder Jones wanted to be Smeagol. I would´ve preferred being Boromir but whatevs...

Well, time goes fast and I am out.

Thanks for your letters and stuff!

~Elder Peterson


1 comment: