Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dear Diary, Jackpot!

Dear Family,
This week has been good in a few different ways.
Last monday was P-day, so that was awesome. Then on Tuesday Elder Tom and I flew to Praia for a Zone Leaders' Counsel that was to happen on Wednesday. So on Tuesday Elde Tom did some souvenir shopping in Sucupira since he goes home in a transfer and a half. Then we did a mini division with the Zone Leaders in Praia and the Elders that live next door. Elder Tom went with the Zone Leaders and I went with the other Elders. It was cool because one of them was Elder Brown who had been my companion in the MTC for a while. So that was cool to see him again. On wednesday we had the ZLs counsel which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. This whole leadership deal is crazy.
So we ended up coming back to Fogo on Thursday morning. Friday was whatevs, but on Saturday we had an integration night that went really well. We had several members and severa investigators show up. We shared a spiritual thought and then got to the fun stuff. Elder Tom did card tricks at one table, some of them played card games at another table, I did drawings (mostly of superheroes) for just about everyone, and we had some Tom and Jerry cartoons playing on a laptop on another table. So everyone had a fun time. And the next day, just about all the investigators that came to the integration night went to church. Woot.
Also this past week we found maple syrup in one of the little shops here. So we had pancakes with syrup. It was the most american meal I've had in a while. It was also delicious.
One thing I've been thinking about a little here is the slap job construction. I swear they eyeball everything. With all the cooky angles and uneven stairs I often feel like I'm in a funhouse. I imagine building a house here goes something like this:
"Well, lets get some walls put in or something. Was a right angle like a square or like a triangle? Oh well, the concrete's been poured. We made the one side too wide, but we can just angle the walls in a little bit. Are these stairs supposed to be crooked? At least I'm not living here. Here's what I think, if the floor was level, the water wouldn't run out. We'll make some stairs tall and others short, that way we'll be customizing for everyone!"
but seriously.
Anyways, my time is up and I have nothing else to say anyways.
Loves,
~Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment