Monday, October 25, 2010

Halfway Point

Of the transfer. Gotcha!

Dear Family,

I´ve decided to adopt the attitude of my last companion, Elder Tom, and say that I´ve got 2 years left in my mission until the last month. I figure that will help me keep things in perspective. I mean, really this isn´t my time anyways so what does it matter how much I´ve passed or got left?

This week we had Zone Conference. And I forgot to bring my notebook to share with you what I learned. But we did have Elder Schutze, a German Area Seventy, there. He was really good. I also took the opportunity to practice some german. It was rough, especialy considering that I haven´t spoken or studied german for a year and a half. And I was never that good to begin with. And every time I tried to say something the Portuguese word came to mind instead of the german one. My mind was like, ''well, it´s not english so it must be right.'' wrong. But that was fun. I was surprised at how much I still understood. That´s good. Hey, i´m a poet and I didn´t even realize it.

I´m currently reading through the old testament and I saw a trend in the books of kings. As a preface to this thought I just want to explain that my Mission President told us in a special leadership training to study in the book of mormon the effects of righteous and wicked leaders on the people. As I was reading in 1st and 2nd Kings, I saw that relationship very clearly. How the king could bring about so much righteousness or wickedness and prosperity or devastation. Sadly, the wicked kings greatly outnumbered the righteous ones. But it makes one think, one kind of impact will I make?

I did have a division this past week as well. I worked with Elder Nyagwambo. He´s from Zimbabwe. His portuguese is so-so, but he´s still in his first transfer so that´s understandable. I remember well how that was. However, being from Africa even though he has learned english from childhood, it´s still a little difficult to understand. It´s just not the same English that we speak. The division went well though. It was a little difficult to include him in the lessons since every time it came for him to teach he´d teach very little then clam up. I tried to help him to just speak and trust in the Spirit and the Gift of Tongues and he started to loosen up a little the next day. Consequently, his speaking and teaching improved. See what a little trust and the promises of the Lord can do? Miracles I tell you.

The Lord is our master. His will be done. I know Christ lives. Let us all follow His example.

~Elder Peterson

p.s. still no pictures. :(


No comments:

Post a Comment