Friday, October 28, 2011

English



Dear Family, Last week I believe I reported my trainee´s name incorrectly. This I blame on hearing on odd name over the phone. His name is Elder Hutber. Not Rutder. my bad. I went to Praia on Monday afternoon like my email stated and I stayed at the mission home that night. The mission home has air conditioning. It was the best sleep I´ve had in a looooong time. Tuesday I had a Training on how to Train. That was good. After that I basically just chilled with some other trainers who had been pulled from their areas for this training. Wednesday morning I woke up normal but about 15 minutes later I had really bad stomache pains, similar to the ones I had a few weeks ago. I suppose it woulde have come from one of the several iffy meals I had Monday and Tuesday. That morning I basically just laid on a mat rocking back and forth trying to feel better. Somehow it worked. Well, that or the pepto bismal I took. That afternoon I received my new missionary. We stayed the night at the mission office and then headed back to Sal Thursday afternoon. During this time with a proper Englishman, I´ve learned several interesting things. For example, in England you would call your pants "trousers" and "pants" are what you would call your underwear. A trash can is called a rubbish bin, a flashlight is called a torch, and toilet paper is called Loo roll. Your mom is your mum and your butt is your bum. But you all knew that. I finally learned why the word "bloody" is a curse word in England. Apparently it means "by our lady" and saying it is actually a curse by the Virgin Mary. So, fairly blasphemous. And if you give the peace sign with your palm facing away from you it means victory. If you give it with your palm facing towards you it means the F-bomb. Apparently back in medieval times the French would cut off an archers first two fingers if they caught him, so he could no longer shoot. So the archers started giving this sign to the French saying "we shoot on! F- you!" Well, they wouldn´t actually say it but that´s what they meant. Anyways, lots of random tidbits learned from the English. And Elder Hutber did say that my British accent wasn´t half bad. He said it was about a 7. I´ve got time to improve that. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we studied and worked. Time flies. Random fact for the day, the movie "A Bug´s Life" has the same plot as the movie "The Three Amigos" Love, Elder Peterson p.s. Random picture taken while i was in Praia.

No comments:

Post a Comment