Friday, October 28, 2011

First Full Week



Dear Family,

the first complete week with Elder Hutber has been good. We ran out of water for a few days so we were stuck taking baths out of a bucket. Termed bucket banhos. or baƱos in spanish. I suppose. But there were a few days that our sink was full of dirty dishes because we didn´t have water to wash them. And I won´t even go into the state of our toilet.

It rained a little bit this past week. Which was good because it was the second and third time it had rained in Sal this entire year. It wasn´t very heavy rain, but it was moisture which was good. And also on the plus side, it cooled the area down quite a bit. Cloud cover is very nice.

Elder Hutber is doing well, picking up the language and getting familiar with the lessons and whatnot. Training is quite an interesting experience. I see just how unfamiliar he is with a lot of the things we do. Even the more common stuff like shopping and using a gas stove. Then I remember how clueless I was when I got here. That was a long, long time ago.

We had an integration night the other day and we played a game where you pass something in a circle while someone outside the room tells a story. When the person finishes the story, whoever has whatever you passed around has a "punishment." Basically the person telling the story chooses something slightly embarrassing for you to do. Like shout "I´m crazy!" 3 times or something. So i lost but the guy telling the story was nice to me so he just told me to sing the National Anthem. Which for me wasn´t really a punishment. Then I thought about Elder Hutber who´s English... That ended up being kind of funny.

Anyways, things are going good. I´m cooking regularly because my newbie is useless in the kitchen. Basically I cook and he cleans. But I think I´ll start teaching him how to make a few things so he´ll be able to survive on more than toast and rice when I leave.

I attached a picture of Elder Hutber and me in the interent place.

Love,

Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment